Skip to content

CALL US: (248) 875-9770

Visas for Victims of Crimes

Domestic violence victim

Have you been a victim of a serious crime?  If so, please contact our office to determine if you qualify for a U Visa.

What you need to do:

  • If you are in danger, or immediate threat of danger, call 911.
  • If you are interested in finding out whether you qualify for a U Visa, contact an Immigration Attorney before contacting immigration officials at the Department of Homeland Security.  
  • Speak to an Immigration Attorney before leaving the United States (U.S.). Even if you already received a U Visa, if you leave, you may not be able to re-enter the U.S.
  • Keep all records related to the crime and to your physical and emotional harms such as police report numbers, medical records, counseling and treatment reports, and photographs of the injuries.

Do I qualify for a U visa?

  1. Are you a non-citizen of the U.S. who was the victim of a serious crime?
  2. Have you been helpful, are you being helpful, or are you willing to be helpful to the police in the investigation and prosecution of the crime?

If your answers to both of the above questions are “yes”, then you may be eligible for a U Visa.  The U Visa will allow you to legally live and work in the U.S.

What is the U Visa program?

Under the U Visa program, a non-citizen who is the victim of a certain crime and who cooperates with the police may be able to apply for temporary legal status.  A person granted a U Visa can legally live and work in the United States for three years.  At the end of the three years, the U Visa holder may apply for lawful permanent legal status (a green card).

Can I qualify for the U Visa if I was the victim of an old crime?

Yes.  Victims of past crimes are also eligible if they meet the U Visa requirements.

Can my family members benefit from my U Visa?

Yes.  Your wife or husband and children under the age of 21 can be included in your application for a U Visa.  In addition, if you are a child under the age of 16, your parents, guardian, or next friend may be eligible for a U Visa if the criminal prosecution would be harmed without their assistance.

In order to qualify for the U Visa, you must be a victim of one or more of the following crimes or any similar activity in violation of Federal, State, or local criminal law:

domestic violence, felony assault, torture, rape,

sexual assault, abusive sexual conduct,

sexual exploitation, prostitution, female genital mutilation,

slave trade, human trafficking, involuntary servitude,

kidnapping, abduction, unlawful criminal restraint,

false imprisonment, blackmail, extortion,

witness tampering, obstruction of justice, perjury,

manslaughter, murder or attempt,

conspiracy or solicitation to commit any of these crimes.

Check below to see if you qualify for a U Visa:

  1. I am not a U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident (green card holder).
  2. I was a victim of a serious crime covered by the U Visa.
  3. The crime occurred in the U.S. or a territory of or possession of the U.S.
  4. I suffered a substantial physical or mental injury as a result of the crime.
  5. I have information about the crime.
  6. I have been, are being, or are willing to be helpful to the police investigation and prosecution of the crime.

Please make sure you contact an Immigration Attorney prior to contacting immigration officers at the Department of Homeland Security.

Contact Us

Your case is important to us. Whether it is a simple question or a serious inquiry, we are here for you. You can call us by phone or email us directly.


(248) 875-9770


5700 Crooks Road, Suite 200
Troy, Michigan 48098